Recent Water Damage Posts
What is Black Water Damage?
Black water is grossly contaminated and could cause severe illness or death if ingested and any contact should be avoided. In addition, black water has come in contact with the ground or surfaces that contain:
- raw sewage
- Treat all water-impacted surfaces and furnishings as toxic, until properly decontaminated.
- Wash your hands frequently to prevent further contamination
- Keep children and pets out of contaminated areas.
- Attempt to decontaminate surfaces with sprays and over-the-counter germicidal products, which may not fully disinfect contaminated surfaces.
Call SERVPRO of Bellaire immediately at 713-266-9294 and let the trained and licensed professionals ensure proper clean up and decontamination. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Water Damage Event
Removing Any Water Damage
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Bellaire provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
“Faster to any size disaster.”
Flooding and water damage are very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Bellaire arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 713-266-9294
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Bellaire
SERVPRO of Bellaire specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Water Damage Causes
There are many causes of water damage. Below is a list of common causes of water related loss:
- Broken PipeWasher Overflows
- Water Heater Overflow
- Rising Water from Flooding
- Roof Leaks
- Water from a Broken Window
- Toilet or Bathtub Overflow
- Air Conditioner Drip Pan Overflow
- Broken Appliance Hoses
- Fire Related Water Damage
These are a few of the many ways a SERVPRO customer may experience a water damage. SERVPRO of Bellaire customers know who to call when they experience a water loss. The team is specially trained to properly handle water loss damage.
Until you experience a water related loss you may not realize how important it is to hire a water damage specialist, but SERVPRO of Bellaire is trusted by insurance agents and property owners across Houston, TX and they are always ready to help you get back to life, "Like it never even happened," after you experience a loss.
Water Damage: Mold can Grow Within 24-48 Hours
It is extremely important to have a reputable company like SERVPRO of Bellaire handle water damage, as the threat of potentially hazardous mold can develop as soon as 24-48 hours after the original water damage.
When a water loss occurs, humidity levels are high. The team at SERVPRO of Bellaire uses specialized equipment like dehumidifiers to dry properties and reduce the humidity levels. This is an extremely important part of cleanup after water damage.
Normal drying methods are simply not enough to reduce the humidity levels in a home after a major water loss. Mold is able to grow behind cabinets, walls and under flooring quickly, so the threat has to be handled by professionals who know how to properly dry flooring, walls, and other fixtures in the property.
Differences between Black Water and Grey Water damage.
Both grey water and black water are types of wastewater. It’s just that grey water is the result of water being used for household purposes, like cleaning and washing clothes, while black water contains feces and urine and other bodily wastes. Grey water can be easily recycled as doesn’t contain that much bacteria compared to black water. Black water is grossly contaminated and could cause severe illness or death if ingested and any contact should be avoided. Grey water and black water are also treated differently. Black water needs a more intensive treatment to kill the disease carrying bacteria present. Grey water can quickly degrade into black water if left untreated. If left untreated, mold can develop and create health effects above and beyond just the contaminated water!
What is "Gray" Water Damage?
Gray water is water that is slightly contaminated, either because of the nature of the source or because of neglect. For example, clean water can become “gray” water if it is left untreated for an extended period time. When a toilet or washing machine overflows, the resulting water would be considered gray because of its source. Any type of water that has been used or in any way contaminated is hazardous because of the microbes that may be present. If you want to begin the cleaning and drying process before the restoration service arrives, you should wear gloves in order to prevent your skin from touching the water so you do not spread any microbes. However, for best results, let the professionals at SERVPRO of Bellaire take care of work and put your mind at ease!